Claytor Lake Homes and Land for Sale
Claytor Lake Information and Updates
I find it hard to believe that 2014 is near an end! The lake market was steady and held up to our market predictions. As of today, November 21st, there have been nine waterfront home sales and four waterfront land sales. The average home sale was $354,127 and the average raw land sale was $216,000. My office continues to be very active and was involved in over 60% of all waterfront sales. As a side note, the land averages are a bit confusing. Two of the sales were larger acreage tracts that exaggerated the average. Typical waterfront lot prices average around $150,000 if you can find them! Last year, there were no raw land sales.
Our current inventory is good and there are several really good values on the lake. Fall and Winter months can be active. Last year, I had three waterfront sales in the middle of winter. The lake is beautiful year-around so we have buyers looking constantly.
WELCOME to the top searched site for Claytor Lake homes, land and information! If you want professional, honest and reliable information about our beautiful lake, then you are on the right site. All home and land listings are real time information. For more information, keep reading.....
Prices seemed to have stablized on the lake and buyers are really looking for waterfront improvements. Docks, boatlifts, jet ski lifts and bulkhead improvements will enhance the selling power of many homes. If you are thinking of selling, please don't take this as a green light to elevate your pricing. Most buyers know the market and will not over-pay for a lake home. As a matter of fact, almost all lake sales in 2013 were below the county tax assessment....some as much as 30%. The basics still apply....fair pricing, staging and property condition will result in a greater chance to sell. Of course, location will always rule the day when it comes to Claytor!
From the year 2000 to 2007, Claytor enjoyed exponential growth in pricing (actually unrealistic appreciation) and then someone turned off the faucet and the bucket went dry - pricing had become too high for the older homes on this small, but beautiful lake.
Understanding the lake market at Claytor is critical to saving you time, money, and heartache.
Here are some general guidelines for Housing at Claytor:
1. You may be able to find a small waterfront cabin that would be a fixer upper under $250,000. Although, very few have entered the market in the last few years. We are seeing homes around 350k that are in good shape. The market is improving and buyers are realizing the value of what's out there.
2. Finding a 2000 sqft home with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths with waterfront is virtually impossible under $400,000. (most of these homes will be in the mid 400's to well over 500k, and even higher in the 6's, depending on lakefrontage, water improvements, etc.).
3. Over half the homes at Claytor are considered second homes.
4. Friends of Claytor Lake (FOCL) is one of your best resources at Claytor Lake - a link to the left is labeled "FOCL" for your convenience.
5. Land/Lots are hard to come by on this great Lake - if you find a lot, or a piece of land that is large enough for a home, and bungee cords are NOT required to get the lake, then I would suggest some research in a timely manner. When it comes to land, make sure you utilize someone with lake knowledge to assist you with purchasing. Septic systems, sand bars, coves collecting floating debris, and general water depths, are all items which should be high on your list of learning prior to purchasing.
I hope the information above is helpful, always feel free to send an email with your questions, and I will do what I can to assist you. Now, please keep reading below!
Good luck in your search at Claytor Lake! If I can be of further assistance, please let me know!
The data relating to real estate on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity/IDX (Internet Data Exchange) Program of the New River Valley Multiple Listing Service, Inc. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Mabry & Cox REALTORS, are marked with the Broker Reciprocity logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers.